The hair is the most pampered part of your body. You spend lots of your money on the wellbeing of your tresses. After all, long, shiny and lustrous hair is indeed worth each and every penny you spend. So much is the demand to have the best hair that the market is flooded with a variety of hair products. Be it shampoos or conditioners, hair sprays or curlers, you can find hair care products of all types, ranging in all prices. Up until a few years back, we thought that any shampoo was okay. It is only in the recent years that we have heard of the sulfate free shampoo.
There is a lot of media-pressure about using a shampoo that does not contain sulfate. There are many companies that are making such special shampoos. Search the labels on the shampoo bottle and the absence of sulfate is showcased increasingly. It is not just the shampoos; people are opting for conditioners that do not contain sulfate.
Why is a Shampoo not Containing Sulfate so Popular?
Firstly, people consider such a shampoo as healthy and more natural. Also, such shampoos give you a softer and cleaner hair. Sulfates can cause frizziness in the hair. Also, such shampoos will contain fewer amounts of chemicals.
What are Sulfates?
Sulfates are the chemicals that will help the shampoo to turn into lather in the shower. They are detergents and are mostly used for cleaning purpose. They are the most standard ingredients in all of the shampoos. It is also present in the household cleaningproducts that we use.
Which are the Sulfates Present in your Shampoo?
The most commonly used sulfates are Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ASL).
What are the ill effects of the sulfate on your hair?
- The hair becomes dull and dry.
- The hair becomes frizzy and tough to smoothen. This becomes a big problem when you already have curly hair.
- If you have colored your hair, the sulfates can have bad effects on the color.
- If you have certain allergies or eczema the sulfate in your shampoo can cause irritation to your scalp.
- If you have undergone any hair treatment, then it is better if you do not go for any sulfate containing shampoo. This is because it will ruin your treatment effects in no time.
- Your hair will become thinner due to the chemicals.
- There are more chances of greying of your hair. The natural color of your hair will be lost eventually.
- The sulfates will trigger hair fall. You will lose more hair due to the use of sulfate containing shampoo.
It can be concluded that any shampoo that contains lesser chemicals can be considered good for you. Thus, it is right when you think that you must use only sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. There are a whole lot of such shampoos and you will certainly find a few benefits by changing your shampoo today. They are milder and more hair friendly than the chemicals loaded shampoos.